Founded 12 years ago as a spin off from Critical Software, the Retmarker company brings the innovative spirit from its founders to push for the adoption of Artificial Intelligence to the field of Ophthalmology. We are one of the oldest and most respected AI providers in this field. We operate from Coimbra (Portugal) to the World.
The company is currently focused on retinal diseases, namely on Diabetic Retinopathy, where we provide our own computer vision technology and professional services in the implementation of efficient and effective population-based screening programs. Our technology is certified as a medical device. In recent years, we have been involved in the automated analysis of images from half a million diabetics, contributing to a better management of their disease and preventing blindness.
The company has ambitious plans to grow over the coming years, integrated in a new European group. We intend to speed up our efforts and expand the usage of Deep Learning technology in our products and address new pathologies from retinal images.
In this context, we will be reinforcing our R&D capacity with new elements. The first one we are looking for is an experienced AI Senior to lead the AI team to a new era. We are a small team, extremely flexible, that keeps improving our own culture daily. Remote working in the mid-term is a possibility. If you like the environment of a startup, but one with a track-record already (real challenges, real data), creating a positive impact on people’s lives, this may be THE opportunity.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Lead, mentor & manage the AI team members.
- Ability to delegate responsibilities effectively.
- Skilled in plan creation and documentation practices.
- Ability to present results in a clear manner.
- Knowledge of Artificial Intelligence (specifically Machine Learning and with a huge focus on Deep Learning), using state-of-the-art methods.
- Ability to implement the defined Data Models in the most efficient way.
- Experience with processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Experience monitoring performance and advising any necessary infrastructure changes.
- Analyze results for robustness, validity, and out of sample stability.
- Good applied-statistics skills (distributions, statistical testing, regression).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (Portuguese and English).
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
- University Degree (or confirmed professional experience) in computer science, informatics engineering or similar domain, with strong software engineering knowledge.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in AI, ML engineering, Deep Learning or similar.
- Hands on experience with computer vision and image processing:
- retinal image processing is a strong plus
- industry experience in a healthcare/medical setting is a plus
- strong knowledge of fundamentals in feature extraction and image analysis
- Excellent understanding of Machine Learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Random Forests.
- Skilled in common data science toolkits, such as NumPy, Scikit-learn, Pandas, Matplotlib, SciPy, Matlab, etc. (excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable).
- Extremely strong in Python Programming, and in relevant Python Libraries for AI (Tensorflow, PyTorch, OpenCV, Keras, etc).
- Knowledge of relational databases/SQL and NoSQL (e.g. MongoDB) is desirable.
- Previous experience using tools like Jira, Bitbucket/GitHub is a plus.
- Knowledge of CI/CD technologies and their application in Machine Learning is a plus.
Are you ambitious? Do you want to assume responsibility? Would you like to have your own team and work with state-of-the-art AI/computer vision technology? Are you motivated to monitor developments in the field of AI and translate them into your own challenges?
If your answer is yes to these questions, get in touch!